Trouble with the faceplates

As I was getting modules ready to sell, I noticed that some of lettering and graphics on the faceplates had scratched off. A few tests indicated that the silkscreening was not sufficiently solid to hold up under long-term use. For people who only care about the sound, this would not matter, but many people take pride in the beauty of their modular rigs, so I’m postponing release while I seek alternatives.

If you are one of the people who cares not for the looks, I’d be happy to sell you one with the current faceplate. Send me an email at and we’ll work something out. Elsewise, be patient; I’m only one person (I counted myself this morning just to be sure), and I’m doing this in my limited spare time.

A side project

I had two working SSM 2050s from an old DIY module that never worked very well, so I build a new Aries format module based on the AR-344 design.

It was the same price to get 10 boards made, so I have 9 remaining ones. If anyone has a source of SSM 2050s and wants one or more of these boards, let me know. I can also provide the faceplate design (which is very close to the original Aries faceplate design, but I added an inverted out), and the little adapter pcbs for the alpha dual-concentric pots. It sure is hard to source good dual-concentric pots these days…


The Thomas DiMuzio Alpha-Trianguli Demos


My friend and dog’s godfather, Tom DiMuzio has been playing around with some of the Alpha-Trianguli modules and has made a series of demos which show off some of the timbres one can create using them. I’ve uploaded them to soundcloud -> The Thomas DiMuzio Alpha-Trianguli Demos

Give them a listen.

I’ve got a dozen or so of the original hand-built AT-327 multimode filter prototypes which I intend to sell to interested parties for $350 a piece, and I’ve got 20 production prototypes, whose manufacturing protocols are set up so if they sell well, I can quickly manufacture more at an appropriate pace. I intend to sell these for $250 a piece.

If you are interested in ordering any before I’ve got web payments set up, email me at and we can work out an arrangement.

Up next, to make some video demos, to give people a more tangible feel for the module’s tone and interface; then to figure out a means of accepting web payments, and all of the other bureaucratic stuff that needs to be set up in order sell things on the internet.


Aries System 300 Restoration

These are photos from a restoration I recently completed. It is (as one might guess) an Aries System 300 that a client found at an estate sale. It had some water damage, and many of the jacks and switches were corroded beyond the level where a simple cleaning would have sufficed. I’ve posted some sonic demos to my soundcloud account, if you’d like to hear what an Aries synth sounds like.


Other than cleaning and refinishing, these are the replacements and mods that I made:

I replaced all of the jacks with new Switchcraft 35PM2A. These are almost identical to the original 42A jacks, but they are 3.5mm instead of .141″ (tinijax), so the synth will now play well with Eurorack synths, and it will be easier to find patch cables (good luck finding tinijax cables for a reasonable price).

For the switches that needed replacement, I used NOS Raytheon switches.

For the potentiometers that needed replacement, I used NOS Clarostat, Ohmite, Allen-Bradley, and Precision Electronics K series potentiometers, depending on the required taper and value.

I reconditioned the power supply caps and rebuilt the whole wiring harness, because the original had too much damage.

The Q feedback regulation OTA on the multimode filter had died, so I had to replace that.

In the modules I replaced all of the tantalum and electrolytic capacitors, and few ceramic capacitors whose leads were damaged.

This synth came with only one reverb tank, but fortunately I was able to locate another, so now it is complete.

It also came with only one VCO, but there was an empty slot where a second should have been. I filled it in with one from my collection. I plan to build myself a new one at some point.

I added three new modulation inputs on the VCOs: AC coupled 1V/Oct input, AC coupled FM (linear) input, DC coupled FM (linear) input. These add a lot of flexibility to the modulation options. I still need to make labels for these repurposed inputs.